This course is primarily a writing and ethics course, in which you explore ethical questions that arise as autonomous systems become a larger part of everyday life. Heavy emphasis on four fundamental underlying ethical models and how they underlie and explain common ethical arguments. It is a KCM liberal studies course. Cross-listed as INFO 2750, ENGRG 2750, STS 2751.
Any FWS course
Topics Covered Edit
- Therapeutic Robotics
- Search and Rescue
- Military Decision Making
- Financial Market Interactions
- Robotics on Art and Music
- Automation and Labor
- Medical Robotics
- Robot Swarms
- Robot Scientists
- The workload in this course is fairly light. In Fall 2018, there were 3 essays which were 4-5 pages each, followed by a 10 page final paper. There are no prelims or finals. If taking the one-credit technical writing add-on, there is an additional 5-page paper.
- Note that Park Doing has started passing around a sign-in sheet, meaning that you have to be in class most days.
- Try to choose a topic for your final paper early. Although not a technical course, you may want to do some research into recent ethical papers.